On March 13 and 14, embrace winter with an ice track, adrenaline buzz and a whole lot of speed at the Ice Cross Downhill World Championships. It’s Edmonton’s first time hosting the extreme sport blending hockey, boardercross and downhill skiing on a track long enough to snake from City Centre to the river valley.
Here’s a look at the numbers behind this free spectator sport. (March 14, City Centre, redbullcrashedice.com)
• 3 WEEKS to build the course
• 38,500 KILOGRAMS of crushed ice used
• 1,000 METRES of spectator boards
• 460 METRES length of track
• 2,500 SQ. METRES of ice
• 60 KM PER HOUR competitor track speed